coco fusco on Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:51:47 +0200 (CEST)

<nettime> A Prisoner Becomes a Warden

Though many in the globe trotting culture sector have
enjoyed sun and fun in Cuba, I've seen next to nothing
on alt.net sites about the recent imprisonment of 75
human rights activists there. Among those imprisoned
are freelance journalists found guilty of accepting
writing supplies from US diplomats and publishing
articles about food and energy shortages. Others are
"independent librarians" who were condemned for
lending books out of their homes - but the American
Library Association has refused to sign a petition on
their behalf. In a recent speech by the leader of
Cuba's Communist Youth, the internet was characterized
as an "instrument of the devil" that foments this sort
of counterrevolutionary activity - even though the
Cuban guerrillas who led the revolution in the 50s
were brilliantly innovative in their use of pirate
radio, and the first wave of filmmakers after the
revolution pioneered methods of disseminating
newsreels in mountainous rural areas that lacked
electricity once upon a time.
CF

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/25/opinion/25ARCO.html