Joseph Rabie via Nettime-tmp on Fri, 21 Jul 2023 17:19:55 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Bioregionalism

Le 21 juil. 2023 à 15:30, mp via Nettime-tmp <nettime-tmp@mail.ljudmila.org> a écrit :

However, as per Montgomery, who calls it the most destructive invention ever made, the plough is extractive and eventually the soil dies. Then whoever was living on it go away.

I think that making the plough the "villain" is controversial.

The metaphor, "the plough, which rips open the skin of the earth", as an act of violation, is not helpful. I have heard contra-arguments, that the plough allows the earth to breath, materials and biological matter to circulate, for the benefit of all. I am too ignorant of the matter to vouch for that.

However, the city where I live (Paris) became an important centre two millennia ago, because it is surrounded with what are allegedly the most fertile lands in Europe, that caring husbandry has maintained without depletion (at least until the industrial age). A genuine breadbasket.

Joe.

#  more info: https://mail.ljudmila.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/nettime-tmp