Ted Byfield via Nettime-tmp on Fri, 14 Jul 2023 18:18:52 +0200 (CEST)

Re: <nettime> Summary of today's meeting

Brian, you put this so well: razor-sharp and spot-on. Felix and I have been trying to take a very low-key approach to this transition, because it really should be about what the new team imagines and how they work. I do want to say that Felix deserves pretty much all the credit — on the 'old' side — for nudging things along in such a gracious and productive way. The 'new' side has a fantastic vibe: very thoughtful, open, and energetic, but (again) in a low-key way that feels right. John's summary conveys that well.

A few things I'd add:

It's great that you underlined what Vesna and John said about offline meetings. "Meetings" might sound big, as it often did in the list's heroic period — the various N5M meetings in Amsterdam, Beauty and the East, and so on — but I think many of the best meetings were a few people over beverages of choice, or putting up friends-of-friends who were passing through for a day or two. If people sent occasional free-form notes about some of those conversations, it could go a long way toward nudging the list closer to the end of energy that Geert, Pit, and so many others brought to the list early on.

And "diversity"...what a loaded word that's become over the last decades. In the context of finding a new mod squad, it has a slightly bureaucratized or even HR-ish ring to it — and the *principle* of finding wider perspectives really matters. But a good way to approach that principle might be, as in your case, a collective effort to open doors to new people through their ideas and work more than through assumptions about representation.

There's lots of talk lately about the stunning collapse of social media: the inane waste of billions of pseudo-value — at this point *hundreds* of billions — on demolishing Twitter, Facebook's hilarious Second Life 2.0, throw-shit-at-the-wall projects like Bluesy and Threads, etc. Where that's leading is anyone's guess, but it isn't hard to imagine that mailing lists might see what I guess we could call a "retronaissance."

Cheers,
Ted

 <...>
#  more info: https://mail.ljudmila.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/nettime-tmp